Saturday, April 11, 2009

Honesty & Flattery

While I love and will one day dearly miss the boys' spontaneous hugs and declarations of "I love you. I miss you", I'm sometimes suspicious when it comes before, during or after being naughty. Though for Ethan it's often just another way of saying "calm down, mama". Still, they are sometimes painfully honest too. One night, I said they could have a cookie, thinking of my homemade chocolate chip cookies. However, Isaac insisted he wanted "store made cookie". Thanks, kid. At least later he melted my heart when we were talking about them growing up and he said "I wash dishes. I go work. You sleep. Okay?" I need to get that recorded to replay in a few years!

Isaac got his first time out this week. This time, it really was him, throwing things in cahoots with the other Isaac, who gets time outs regularly. While I wasn't happy about that of course, with their shyness and slightly slower development, I am at some level pleased when they act like normal kids when they're at school.

I thought it was supposed to be the "why" questions that drive you nuts at this age, but it's the "hows" that are getting to me. It started with reading books and Isaac asking "How draw that?", which went along with constantly asking "what that say?" to everything we see. I don't mind that. I love that they are aware of words and pictures, but now they are constantly asking "How make that?" or "How do that?" about every small thing. This morning in the parking lot it was "How make car?". "Uhhh, with lots of parts..."

Ethan amused me today. After I questionably climbed up the built-in bookcases to get a game while they both told me "be careful", he got so excited and said "I proud of you, mama". He can be such a sensitive sweetheart. Whenever I hurt myself or grimace when the baby kicks and stomps, he asks sweetly, "What happened? You okay, mama?"

Meanwhile, boy number three is starting to throw some good punches where I can see limbs protruding. Right now the reminder that there's a real human in there is fun, though I guess it will get old before long. It's just fun not having to try to figure out which baby it is this time.

No comments: