Sunday, August 30, 2009

Tales from the boys...

It's been a while - here are a few stories for interested parties...


Ethan has been a trip lately. He, the picky eater, is also eating nonstop so there must be some kind of spurt going on. Last week, he was very intent on assisting the doctor to look at Isaac – he suggested that cutting off his head might be the solution to his cough. And when the doctor finished looking at Isaac's ears, asked very seriously, “What next?” He loves to be the doctor at home too so we'll see where this leads...


He has been very bossy lately. The other day he decided they were going to Chuck E. Cheese, despite the fact we said very clearly they were not. I told Isaac no when he asked me, but then he heard Ethan say they were going and asked “We go Chuck E. Cheese, Ethan?” “Yes,” Ethan replied. “Yay!” Isaac exclaimed and got on his shoes and they both ran out the door, with me shouting after them that nobody was going to Chuck E. Cheese. A few minutes later I realized they had gone to get in the car already.... When going to bed a few nights ago (or rather back to bed), he told me “You come check me one minute. Take out your contacts. Then you go to bed. All right?” And was gone before I could even answer. He’s also started repeating things I say like telling Isaac, “No whiny boy. I don’t like it”, when Isaac is crying because he wants his toy. I guess asserting control is becoming increasingly important. When we are indecisive or he doesn't like the answer he also often says "We can think about it".


He made us laugh too after we got home from the Native American Festival at Garfield Park, having sat eating "frybread" and watching a powwow. As soon as we got home, he tied a blanked around his waist, one around his shoulders and put a couch end cover on his head, while stomping around with some bells..


Isaac meanwhile has been sickly and consequently more whiny than I'd like.His mantra of the moment is "I don't like it" to pretty much anything we ask him to do. He has also seemed to regress in some ways like going from riding his bike without training wheels to not being able to ride his bike at all. When I ask him why not, he says "I don't know which way to turn my head". I said I would go with him one time and he could show me why it's hard but we haven't gotten around to that. He is still funny too of course - he is into sneaking food into the shopping cart these days. Somehow candies or cookies or hot chocolate will end up in the cart. His guilt is obvious of course when he looks at me trying unsuccessfully to look innocent. I think he wants me to notice though, that's part of the game!


There aren't so many stories to tell about Joshua yet, who is still as sweet a boy as ever. He has had a cold and cough and that is the saddest thing to hear, but he is pretty resilient and doesn't complain as much as I would. It makes it harder for him to settle into sleep, but when he does he still sleeps a good 4, sometimes 5, hour stretch (if only his brothers didn't wake me in the interim!). He is making a few new sounds here and there which would be impossible for me to duplicate in writing - if you want to hear you'll just have to come visit :) I can't wait until he's a little easier to entertain, though when in a good mood, he really enjoys doing songs and can track my finger or face. He wants to be held all the time though and knows when you are even thinking of putting him down and will cry in advance. The other day, I handed him off to Jack and he gave me this look like "I thought you loved me", though really he and daddy get along and communicate very well.


Okay, all for now. As always, will try to be better at remembering and recording the cutes and funnies.

No comments: