Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Year-end tales

The holiday festivities are dying down and family has gone after a great visit of spoiling the boys rotten. The boys are trying to process the fact that all those weeks and even months of build-up for Christmas is over. Ethan, Mr. Sensitive, is busy "missing" everyone, including Santa. He even "misses" me when I am right there with him. They are both concerned about Bear missing Jonathan's dog Geffi. Ethan yesterday gave him a hug and said, "Bear miss Geffi?" Bear didn't care for the hug but I'm sure he appreciated the sentiment. The vet and all the staff yesterday at Bear's check-up were very impressed with how much he tolerates from the boys. I didn't tell them he doesn't always, nor do they!

Isaac for his part is going through withdrawal from sleeping right next to us. He would say "I want sleep mama. I miss you". He was crying for me at bed time and waking up in the middle of the night, screaming "I don't like my bed". When I told him if he stayed in his own bed all night for seven days he would get a new present, that seemed to help a bit. He has been settling in and sometimes it's just Ethan who wakes up and comes to our bed and then makes me carry him back if I tell him he needs to sleep in his own bed or just cries because he needs to pee pee and wants help.

It is still so entertaining and I know the family enjoyed seeing too, how they interact with each other. Even though Isaac is usually the bossy one, Ethan, when he is grumpy orders Isaac around and throws a tantrum if Isaac isn't interested. We were at a Christmas party one night on a day when Ethan hadn't napped. Ethan wanted to put train tracks together but couldn't quite get it himself. He kept yelling "Isaac, do it", "Isaac help" until he was practically shrieking and Isaac went to help him. Every time it broke he yelled at Isaac to help.

Tonight they discovered that Bear had started chewing on Ethan's new bear from Grandma while they were in the bath. Ethan was emotional about it though he never wants the bear usually. Isaac proceeded to berate Bear and then went over and told Ethan he had told Bear off. Ethan wasn't that interested but when I told him that was very nice, he beamed with pride.

This has been a great year and we're looking forward to more funnies and sweetness in the new year, complete with new baby. Ethan is noncommital and will probably be more jealous but Isaac is keen to hold the baby on his lap while he watches tv and is always telling Ethan to be careful of squishing the baby in mama's tummy.

No comments: